Direct email contact information is: email@example.com
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION, please visit our website at www.uselectricalstaffing.com and go to our Job Seekers tab to complete an online application. The job number is 2005. You can also complete a general application and view all of our current job openings.
The Substation Technician is responsible for but not limited to:
- Inspect and test equipment and circuits to identify malfunctions or defects, using wiring diagrams and testing devices such as ohmmeters, voltmeters, or ammeters.
- Consult manuals, schematics, wiring diagrams, and engineering personnel in order to troubleshoot and solve equipment problems and to determine optimum equipment functioning.
- Prepare and maintain records detailing tests, repairs, and maintenance.
- Repair, replace, and clean equipment and components such as circuit breakers, brushes, and commutators.
- Open and close switches to isolate defective relays; then perform adjustments or repairs.
Successful candidates will have the following:
- High school diploma or GED; certificate from a Technical School in a mechanical or electrical trade is a plus
- Must exhibit knowledge and ability to satisfactorily perform the work involved in the installation, operation, and maintenance of the various types of electric equipment used in a high voltage substation
- Extensive knowledge of construction methods and standards, materials and equipment, electrical design and wiring, maintenance procedures and practices, and safety procedures and practices for voltages from 4kV to 240kV
- Ability to use the section?s specialized software for gathering data, record keeping and testing of equipment and be able to instruct others in its use
- Ability to read and understand electrical schematics and retrofit old equipment with new components including microprocessors and digital controls
- Ability to keep proper records of equipment as well as NERC, FRCC, safety, FD.O.T. and MSDS concerns
- A general understanding of how different substation and relay schemes work and to be able to troubleshoot in substations and restore power promptly
- Basic PC skills
- Ability to read, write and speak clearly in English
- Be willing to potentially work any shift with overtime
- Travel if necessary